Instructor - Buddha's Core Teachings
Co-Founded Mindful Valley, a mindfulness training organization for individuals and professionals. For more than 25 years, Daniel has formally practiced Insight (Vipassana) and Zen meditation. Daniel’s interest in meditation and contemplation began while on a Franciscan retreat with his Catholic school at age 11 and he was introduced to Buddhist Meditation in 1980. Some years later, while activities Coordinator with the Jan Berry Center For The Brain Injured, inspired by the neuroplastic qualities of the brain, he began studying and developing mindfulness exercises using drumming and other creative practices for people with serious brain trauma.
- Currently, Daniel works as a mentor at UCLA's Mindful Awareness Research Center for their Certification in Mindfulness Facillitation program, and is The Buddhist Chaplain of the Buddhist Meditation Organization at USC . He also works as the Program Director of Mindful Valley developing curriculum for teens, therapists, artists, 12 step programs and the community at large. Daniel serves as the senior instructor in mindfulness courses for both Mindful Valley and Mindful Business Institute.
- 2003 – 2008 – Daniel was an active member of InsightLA, where he helped build the organization by serving on its Executive Council and teaching mindfulness training courses.
- Recognized in the Mindfulness community, Daniel has also taught as an adjunct instructor at:
UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center (M.A.R.C.)
Motion Picture and Television Fund
Campbell Hall, K-12 Episcopal Day School
WeSPARK Cancer Support Center
Leeza's Place for Family Caregivers
Heal and Soul Yoga & Wellness Center
Sunset Statue Sober Living
Bridges to Recovery
The Absolute Yoga and Pilates
Against The Stream
Valley Institute of Visual Art
Mindful Business Institute
Promises Treatment Center
- Currently pursuing a PH.D. in psychology
- Bachelor of Music in Film Scoring & Music Composition from Berklee College of Music
- 2010 – CDL – Community Dharma Leadership Training Program -Spirit Rock
- 1986 – present - numerous Retreats and study with Abhayagiri Monastery, Spirit Rock Meditation Center and Santa Monica Zen Center.
- 2007 – Daniel graduated from The Spirit Rock’s Dedicated Practitioners Program (DPP), a rigorous 2 year training concentrating in Buddhist studies and the practice of meditation.
- Daniel has continued his education by meeting monthly with his fellow DPP since 2007.
- Extensive training in Zen Meditation and koan study, given Jukai by Roshi Bill "Yoshin" Jordan.
- Since 1986 - He continues to study Insight and Zen meditation with many leading Western teachers including Jack Kornfield, Ajahn Amaro, Joseph Goldstein, Diana Winston, Susan Kaiser-Greenland, Sally Armstrong among others. Daniel continues studying personally with psychiatrist & neoroscientist, Dr. John Schairer and Ecological Psychologist Dr. Jackie Lanum.